Saturday, April 27, 2013

Gayle's Birthday - September 10, 2012

Christina Rossetti said:
"For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one trotters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands"

And she rightly put it! I needn't say more!

My sister Gayle Veronica Araujo, born 10 September 1985, my parents first born! Architect by profession, the most creative person I know! She does it all and she does it well - Dancing, Singing, Academics, Athletics etc...


So, for her birthday I decided to bake from scratch some chocolate cupcakes. While scouting for receipes, I came across this site http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/Ms. Ming (since I don't really know her name) put together recipes of some of her favorite cupcake recipes, and while combing through this I found CUPCAKE 5 - Sis's Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting! The name was apt to the situation! I looked over the recipe and decided to give it a try.

And Voila!


Just look at them! So beautiful! And they turned out very moist too!







Happy Birthday Gayle!

This is my go-to Chocolate Cupcake recipe and it never fails me!

Sis's Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
(Source: http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/)
Makes 12 Cupcakes

CUPCAKES
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk 
3 heaping Tbsp cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in room-temperature buttermilk.  In a saucepan, melt butter and cocoa together at a low temperature.  When smooth, add water.  In a separate bowl, sift together sugar, flour, and salt.  Add cocoa mixture and egg and mix at low speed.  Add buttermilk mixture and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean

ICING
1 stick butter
5 heaping Tbsp cocoa
1 lb confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk

In a saucepan, melt butter at low temperature.  In a separate bowl, mix together cocoa and sugar.  Add melted butter, vanilla, and milk and beat at low speed until mixed.  Frost cupcakes generously. 


Notes:
  1. I couldn't find Buttermilk so I used Laban instead and it turns out perfect.
  2. The recipe says bake 350F for 20 minutes but this depends from oven to oven. So you would need to set the temperature as per your oven. 

2 comments:

  1. Grishaaaa :D great work :D
    For buttermilk you could also use a cup of milk and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar :D that's what i normally do :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reli! ♥
      I had read the same in some recipe but never tried it! Laban works for me:D.
      But mom was saying that she saw butter milk in Al Fair! So I will try Next time.

      Delete