Monday, April 29, 2013

Rainy Days

So what do you do when its a lazy Saturday afternoon and its 27°C, rainy and cold outside...

Traditionally in Oman, I would curl up in a chair and bury myself in a book. But, with the sudden change in climate here over the past week, I spent hours together watching the rain through my window.

Don't you just love the rains! How it makes everything seem so much more cleaner! How the grass and trees seem so much more greener! I love how the rain envelopes everything and the smell of the soil (*sigh*)!

Monsoons! That's what I miss the most about Goa! I miss walking in the pouring rain(in a rain coat) or just standing in the Balcony taking in the view and watching the approaching rain clouds!



What a view! I miss it!

Anyways, moving on - So cooped up at home, pouring rain and a new mini doughnut pan! What does one do??!!

Well, bake some doughnuts to accompany your hot coffee (I just need an excuse)!

Doughnuts are usually deep-fried. But since I'm all about health (You think?!), I looked for recipes for baked doughnuts! My search brought me to http://www.mysanfranciscokitchen.com! What caught my attention was that Kistianne, the writer behind My San Francisco Kitchen said that each mini chocolate doughnut is just 60 Calories! "Wohoo!" Said the tiny calorie conscious part of me! So I decided to give it a go!

All the ingredients in the bowl...

My prepared brand new pan filled with the batter and ready for the oven!

And about 10 minutes later.....


Hello, there doughnut!



As Chandler Bing says, Round food for every mood!

So Simple and easy to follow - and the added benefit of each doughnut being just 60 calories - makes this recipe a must-try!

Baked Mini Chocolate Donuts
(Source: http://www.mysanfranciscokitchen.com/baked-mini-chocolate-donuts/)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir well, until smooth.
Prepare mini doughnut pan and fill 3/4 full with batter.
Bake for 10 minutes (varies from oven to oven), until donuts spring back when touched lightly with your finger.
Let the doughnuts cool before adding any glaze.

Note:
The chocolate in this is very subtle and the doughnut would taste amazing with a chocolate glaze.(as Kistianne's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment