Saturday, April 27, 2013

Valentines Day 2013

"Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound"

Valentines Day - Day of Love! 

Every year we spend Valentines Day with our family! Yes, it isn't only for lovers! And Dad always buys his three ladies roses or chocolates! This year wasn't any different - Chocolate in the shape of lips! So cute!

I had these huge elaborate plans for baking valentines day goodies for my family. Unfortunately time wasn't on my side! So I decided to go simple and bake a Flourless Chocolate Cake!

I found the recipe at http://www.laurenslatest.com/! It looked so good that I had to try it out. I made it once before during dance practice. Oh yes, the dance practices that brought some wonderful people into my life!

(From left to right: Ryan, Christopher, Nixon, Aleron, Me, Gayle, Craigan, Clayton, Melisa)

How did I spend my Valentines Day? Well, I spent it with them! And it was truly fun! What else would you expect from a group of crazy, goofy and sweet people!


Well, getting back to the baking - Flourless Chocolate Cake! Initially, I was a little apprehensive. But it turned out really great! And my parents loved it!




I drizzled some white and dark chocolate on the cake as well! The original recipe calls for the cake to be served with Almond Flavored Whipped Cream. I did try it on another occasion but instead of Almond used Raspberry! (Whipped cream is not my friend as you can see!)


This cake is extremely easy to make and has a nice moist fudgy texture! It is Gluten free and very rich! One should definitely try it out!

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Whipped Cream
(Source: http://www.laurenslatest.com/flourless-chocolate-cake-with-almond-whipped-cream/)

CAKE:
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt

For the Cream-
1 cup heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
3 tablespoons powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a 8-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter the pan and set aside. Feel free to line the bottom with parchment paper as extra insurance to get the cake out.
Melt butter and chocolate together slowly in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
Stir in sugar, eggs (one at a time) and vanilla.
Sift cocoa into batter and stir in gently with salt.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until set.
Cool completely before topping with cream. OR serve warm without cream

To make cream - whip heavy whipping cream with vanilla, raspberry extract and powdered sugar until stiff.
Spread over cake and serve.

Note:
I used Galaxy Dark Chocolate and Hersey's Cocoa Powder


4 comments: